- Council on Aging / Senior Center
- Rock Harbor Respite - Supportive Day Program
Rock Harbor Respite - Supportive Day Program
Orleans Senior Center - Supportive Day Program for Adults
Rock Harbor Respite is an adult supportive day program offering a safe, caring, person-centered environment for older adults with physical and cognitive disabilities, and for those in need of social stimulation. We offer a structured day that includes music, art and fitness to promote optimal social, emotional and physical wellness while allowing clients to remain in their own homes for as long as possible.
Rock Harbor Respite is located within the Orleans Senior Center/Orleans Council on Aging and is designed for the comfort and safety of our clients. Our beautiful handicap-accessible patio and garden path is located adjacent to Rock Harbor Respite.
Rock Harbor Respite offers a caring, safe and person-centered environment where clients engage in a variety of activities designed to enrich their daily lives. We provide a program that endeavors to focus on the clients' capabilities, experiences, interests and personalities so that their potential is fully maximized. We also aim to provide caregiver respite.
About the Staff
Staff receives ongoing training around caring for clients with physical and cognitive challenges, as well as CPR and first aid certification. We maintain a ratio of 1 staff member to 6 clients.
Clients are charged only for days attended. However, if client attends any portion of the Day Center program on any given day, they are charged for the full day.
- Orleans residents: $44 per day
- Non-residents: $55 per day
Rock Harbor Respite is open to residents of Orleans, Harwich, Brewster and Chatham only. Fees are inclusive of all activities and meals. Financial assistance may be available to help defray costs. Please inquire.
A complimentary trial day is required for potential clients that meet participant eligibility criteria. When a client enters the program, intermittent assessments and caregiver discussions allow for a smooth transition. To learn more about scheduling a trial day, call 508-255-6333.
Transportation to and from the program is available at no cost to Orleans residents via safe, handicap-accessible lift-equipped vans. Other towns provide transportation for a nominal fee. Please inquire at your local senior center.
To participate, a senior must:
- Be able and willing to follow simple instructions and directions
- Be willing and able to participate in group activities in a social setting
- Be non-combative, and no threat to others, or to themselves
- Be continent of bowel and bladder
- Be able to attend to activities of daily living, including eating, dressing and toileting, with limited assistance
- Be able to administer own medications if required
Delicious, nutritionally balanced, home-cooked meals are served daily in our dining room. All snacks and meals are included in the daily program fee.
- Daily News
- Sit Fitness and Chair Yoga
- Word Games
- Companion Animals
- Guest Speakers
- Art Classes
- Music Circles
- Indoor Bowling and golf
- Food Tastings
- CCMA Art and Conversation
- Holiday Events
- Annual Barbecue
- Garden Walks and Talks
- State, Country and Personality Bingo
Respite for Caregivers
Caring for a loved one can be a rewarding experience, but it can also be physically and emotionally exhausting. Research indicates that caregiver stress takes a toll on one's physical, social, mental and financial health. Rock Harbor Respite offers respite time for caregivers in order to:
- Help reduce daily caregiving stress
- Allow time needed to attend to daily responsibilities
- Provide respite while knowing your loved one will spend the day in a safe, supportive, person-centered environment
Caregiver Support Groups
Caregiver Support Groups meet at the Orleans Council on Aging, as well as at other community locations. Support groups are free of charge and offer valuable coping strategies to help with the stressors of daily caregiving. Call 508-255-6333 for more information.